[Curriculum Vitae Feb 2017]
Dr. Behnam Ghalei
Institute for Integrated Cell-Material Sciences (iCeMS) , Kyoto University
Research Building Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501 JAPAN
e-mail: bghalei [at] icems.kyoto-u..ac.jp
- Assistant Professor, iCeMS, Kyoto University, Japan
- PDRA, iCeMS, Kyoto University, Japan
- Lecturer, Chemical Engineering, Azad University, Tehran, Iran
- Technical Executive Office, Aria Nano Baspar Plast Co. Tehran, Iran
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
- M.Eng. Polymer Engineering, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
- B.Eng. Polymer Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), Tehran, Iran
Membrane separation processes.
Pressure retarded osmosis for energy production.
Membranes for medical and biological applications, renal dialysis and membrane oxygenators.
Ceramic and MOF membranes.
Design and synthesis of functional polymers and particles.
Polymer blends and nanocomposite structures.
Ion containing polymers, polymer batteries and proton exchange membranes.
Grants, awards and scholarships
- iCeMS overseas visit program for young researches, Kyoto University, (Visiting Cambridge University and Imperial College)
- Ph.D. Scholarship, Tarbiat Modares University
- M.Sc. Scholarship, Tarbiat Modares University
- National Kharazmi award for the research project entitled “A novel method in programming with C and Pascal”
- National Kharazmi award for the research project entitled “New software for learning chemistry”
Project leader in JST A-Step Program (Subject: development of membrane technology for clean combustion engines) 2015.10 – 2017.3 ($0.37M) (Number of group members: 3)
Project leader in JST [START] Collective Osmotic Shock (COS) (Subject: A technology development grant for block copolymer membrane technology) 2014.11-2017.3 ($1.16M) (Number of group members: 4)
Project leader in ENEOS Hydrogen Fund (Subject: Nanocomposite polymer membranes for gas separation) 2014.10-2015.9 ($0.06M) (Number of group members: 3)
- Y. Kinoshita, K. Wakimoto, A. H. Gibbons, A.P. Isfahani, H. Kusuda, E. Sivaniah†, B. Ghalei†, Enhanced PIM-1 membrane gas selectivity through efficient dispersion of POSS fillers, Journal of Membrane Science, 2017, 539, 178-186. (corresponding author)
- B. Ghalei, K. Sakurai, Y. Kinoshita, K. Wakimoto, A.P. Isfahani, Q. Song, K. Doitomi, S. Furukawa, H. Hirao, H. Kusuda, S. Kitagawa, E. Sivaniah†, Enhanced selectivity in mixed matrix membranes for CO2 capture through efficient dispersion of amine-functionalized MOF nanoparticles, Nat. Energy, 2017, 2, 17086.
- B. Ghalei, Y. Kinoshita, K. Sakurai, K. Wakimoto, S. Mathew, Youfeng Yue, H. Imahori, E. Sivaniah†, Surface functionalization of high free volume polymers toward hydrogen separation materials, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2017, 5, 4686-4694 .
- A.P. Isfahani, B. Ghalei, K. Wakimoto, R. Bagheri, E. Sivaniah†, M. Sadeghi, Crosslinked polyurethane gas separation membranes, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 44, 17431-17439.
- A.P. Isfahani, B. Ghalei, R. Bagheri, Y. Kinoshita, H. Kitagawa, E. Sivaniah†, Morteza Sadeghi†, Polyurethane gas separation membranes with ethereal bonds in the hard segments, Journal of Membrane Science, 2016, 513, 58-66.
- M. Laghaei, M. Sadeghi†, B. Ghalei, M. Shahrooz, The role of compatibility between polymeric matrix and silane coupling agents in the performance of mixed matrix membranes: Polyethersulfone/MCM-41, Journal of Membrane Science, 2016, 513, 20-32.
- M. Laghaei, M. Sadeghi†, B.Ghalei, M. Dinari, The effect of various types of post-synthertic modifications on the structure and properties of MCM-41mesoporous silica, Progress in organic coatings, 2016, 90, 163.
- E. Vakili, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, B. Ghalei*, Characterization and gas permeation properties of synthesized polyurethane-polydimethylsiloxane/polyamide 12-b-polytetramethylene glycol blend membranes, Silicon, 2015, 8, 75-85. (corresponding author)
- Q. Song, S. Cao, R.H. Pritchard, B. Ghalei, S.A. Al-Muhtaseb, E. M. Terentjev, A. K. Cheetham, E. Sivaniah†, Controlled thermal oxidative crosslinking of polymers of intrinsic microporosity towards tunable molecular sieve membranes, Nature Communications, 2014, 5, 4813.
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, M. Fardi, E. Vakili, Structural and transport properties of polydimethylsiloxane Based polyurethane/silica particles mixed matrix membranes for gas separation, Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2014, 31(5), 841-848.
- M.A. Semsarzadeh†, E. Vakili, M. Fardi, B. Ghalei, Sol-gel synthesized nanostructured silica particles for application in gas transport properties of PU-PDMS based mixed-matrix membranes, Advanced Materials Research, 2014, 829, 862-866.
- V. Goodarzi, S.H. Jafari†, H.A. Khonakdar†, B. Ghalei, Mehdi Mortazavi, Assessment of role of morphology in gas Permeability and selectivity of membranes based on PP/EVA/Clay nanocomposite, Journal of Membrane Science, 2013, 445, 76-87.
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, Characterization and gas permeation properties of polyurethane-silica/polyvinyl alcohol mixed matrix membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 2013, 432, 115-125.
- M. Sadeghi†, M.M. Talakesh, B. Ghalei, M. Shafiei, Preparation, characterization and gas permeation properties of a polycaprolactone based polyurethane-silica nanocomposite membrane, Journal of Membrane Science, 2013, 427, 21-29.
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, Characterization and gas permeability of polyurethane and polyvinyl acetate blend membranes with polyethylene oxide-polypropylene oxide block copolymer, Journal of Membrane Science, 2012, 401-402, 97-108.
- B. Ghalei, M. Sadeghi†, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, M. Barikani†, Study on morphology and gas permeation properties of polyurethane membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 2011, 385-386, 76-85.
- B. Ghalei, M. Sadeghi†, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, M. Barikani†, The effect of urea and urea contents on the gas permeation properties of poly (urethane-urea) membranes, Journal of Membrane Science, 2010, 354, 40-47.
- M. Sadeghi†, H. Mouadel†, B. Ghalei, S. Khatti, Dual mode sorption of inorganic acids in PBI Membranes, Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part B. 2010, 49, 1128-1135.
- H. Haddadi, E. Nazokdast, B. Ghalei, Chemorheological characterization of thermosetting polyurethane formulations containing different chain extender contents, Journal of Polymer Engineering and Science, 2008, 48, 2446-2453.
- B. Ghalei, Preparation of a novel microporous membrane by selective dissolution of polyurethane/polyvinyl acetate polymer blend membrane, Desalination research progress, Nova Science Publisher, 2008, 479-488, ISBN: 978-1-60456-567-6 (Book Chapter).
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh†, A novel nanostructured blend membrane for gas separation, Journal of Macromolecular Symposia, 2007, 249-250, 330–335.
† Faculty members, whose lab resources were used in this work.
- E. Sivaniah, B. Ghalei, K. Sakurai, Y. Kinoshita, Composite membrane and method of separating gas using the same, Filed by Kyoto University, June 15th 2016. Assignee: Kyoto University.
- E. Sivaniah, B. Ghalei, Y. Yue, Generation of high performance gas seperation membranes by surface functionalization. Filed by Kyoto University and Sumitomo Chemical Co., July 16th 2015. Assignee: Kyoto University.
- M. Laghaei, M. Sadeghi†, B. Ghalei, M. Shahrooz, High performance gas separation membrane with Mesoporous silica, Iranian Patent, No.86125, 2014.
- J. Aghazadeh†, E. Sadeghi, B. Ghalei, Polymer/sand nanocomposite, Iranian Patent, No.73749, 2012.
- B. Ghalei, H. Haddadi, Gas separation membranes based on polyurethane and polyvinyl acetate, Iranian Patent, No.46058, 2008.
- H. Haddadi, B. Ghalei, Rubber Molding Polyurethane based on PMDI/PPG, Iranian Patent, No.46057, 2008.
International conferences and proceedings
- A.P. Isfahani, B. Ghalei, E. Sivaniah, M. Sadeghi, The effects of ethereal chain extenders on the gas separation properties of the polyurethane membranes, Oral presentation at 12th international conference on membrane science and technology, Tehran, Iran.
- A.P. Isfahani, B. Ghalei, E. Sivaniah, M. Sadeghi, The effects of dioland diaminearomatic chain extenders on the gas permeation properties of the polyurethane membranes, Poster presentation in the 12th international conference on membrane science and technology, Tehran, Iran.
- M. Laghaei, M. Sadeghi, B. Ghalei, Different Gas separation behavior of mixed matrix membranes based on APTMS modified and unmodified MCM-41 mesoporous silica in a polyethersulfone (PES) matrix, Oral presentation at 10th international congress on membrane and membrane processes, Suzhou, China, 2014.
- B. Ghalei, K. Sakurai, Q. Song, E. Sivaniah, Design of innovative gas separation membranes through thermally cross-linked polymer of intrinsic microporosity, Oral presentation at IPC 2014, Tsukuba, Japan, 2014.
- K. Sakurai, B. Ghalei, H. Kusuda, E. Sivaniah, Polymer of intrinsic microporosity and metal organic frameworks mixed matrix membranes for gas separation, Poster presentation in IPC 2014, Tsukuba, Japan, 2014.
- M. Laghaei, M. Sadeghi, B. Ghalei, synthesize and modification of spherical MCM-41 nanoporous silica, Poster presentation at UNGNSM, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran, 2013.
- M.A. Semsarzadeh, M. Fardi, E. Vakili, B. Ghalei, Sol-gel synthesized nanostructured silica particles for application in gas transport properties of PU-PDMS based mixed-matrix membranes, Oral presentation at UNGNSM, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran, 2013.
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh, Modeling of gas permeation through polyurethane/polyvinyl acetate/polyethylene oxide–polypropylene oxide blend membranes, Oral presentation at ISPST, Amirkabir University of technology, Tehran, Iran, 2012.
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh, Effect of polyethylene oxide-polypropylene oxide block copolymer on gas permeation properties of polyurethane/polyvinyl acetate blend membranes, Poster presentation at ISPST, Amirkabir University of technology, Tehran, Iran, 2012.
- M.A. Semsarzadeh, M. Esteki, B. Ghalei, Preparation of Micro-porous polyurethane membrane, Poster presentation at EPF, Australia, 2009.
- H. Haddadi, E. Nazokdast, B. Ghalei, The effect of chain extender content and molecular weight of polyol on the viscoelastic properties of thermosetting polyurethane networks at the gel Point, Poster presentation at Tampere University of Technology, Nordik, Finland, 2007.
- M.A. Semsarzadeh, B. Ghalei, A novel nano-structured blend membrane based on polyurethane/poly(vinyl acetate) for gas separation, Poster presentation at IUPAC International symposium on advanced polymers for emerging technologies, Bussan, Korea, 2006.
- B. Ghalei, M.A. Semsarzadeh, Preparation of a novel micro-porous membrane by selective dissolution of polyurethane/polyvinyl acetate polymer blends, Oral presentation at UNESCO/IUPAC conference on macromolecules: Polymer for advanced applications, Stellenbosch, South Africa, 2006.
Teaching and Working Experiences
- Teaching the undergraduate course “Unit operations of chemical engineering“, Azad University, Shahre Ghods Branch (2012-2013).
- Technical executive officer, Aria Nano Baspar Plast Co. (2011-2013).
- Teaching the graduate course “Thermodynamics for chemical engineering”, Imam Hossein University (Fall 2007).
- Internship, Product design engineering, SAPCO (Supplying Automotive Part Company), a subsidiary of Iran Khodro Co. (Summer 2005 – Spring 2006).
- Internship, Polymer processing laboratory, Dorna Aerospace Co. (2003-2004).
- Trainee, Quality Control Lab, MehrKam Pars, one of the largest manufacturers of automotive parts. (Summer 2003).
- Teacher assistant in the course “Thermodynamics for Chemical Engineering”, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran. (2002-2003).
Refereeing for Journals
- Journal of membrane science
- Korean journal of chemical engineering
- Journal of separation science and technology
- Journal of separation and purification technology
- Applied polymer science
- Journal of natural gas science & engineering